Monday, October 19, 2009
One year later
Tomorrow is the anniversary of being single one year. To most it would be another day, to others, a time of rejoicing, but for me this day will be one of extreme sadness but resignation. Why I hear some of you ask? Who cares others dictate? You are both right, it really is not an issue. The reason I am writing about it is therapy. The last gasp of a marriage that has gone south. The incredible end of a journey that had ups and downs, failures and successes, good times and bad. It is the final time I will allow myself s moment of self indulgence: the pity party syndrome: the need to exercise my spleen and discard the bile in my liver. So I take the time to say a few words of departure. The fact is I was married for 24 years, almost to the silver. However it should have ended at 17, pride will make you do and say a lot of foolish things to evade the truth. Truth the final obstacle to understanding that the end is past and that you need to get on with living. Yet facing the truth is often a barrier, a fence which is so carefully constructed that when it is over, really over, instead of standing on truth from both points of view (we all have truth) the tendency (in my case) was to use slogans transcending into overcome, adapt and adjust. I have since found that people do not choose to do that and that is okay. This realization does not diminish others but makes the playing field even, which in case we forget is what marriage is all about: evenness. The lack of understanding this point and the insistence that all issues can be solved by brute personality has lead to a separation and the divorce as the only option. My greatest sin in this union was my devaluation of another not in a mean sense, but in a climate of ignorance: in other words I did not have a clue as to what I was doing. Had I a clue I would have understood their cry to be let go. Live and learn. so now it is the task of starting over. I know they are alright they were this way when I met them. My hope for others is that you learn to listen: not react, not over compensate, or other defense mechanisms, traits or methodologies,they are so useless. Now to the real question: would you revisit the issue...NO, they are happy and that is my greatest joy!!!! So on this day (tomorrow it is official) I rejoice in freedom only to try again, a decision made with eyes open and heart also. Later
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment