Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Can one be too Concerned?

The question for the day is one that has puzzled me since I have been grown. I ask myself when are we too concerned for our own good? I write this in the plural because there have to be others like myself that struggle with this question. All too often people are in trouble, ill, or just down in the dumps, only to have folks come to their aid only to be told no. This is a serious question and I hope those who read will have a comment.



There is a book called 90 minutes to heaven which tells a story about a preacher that was clinically dead for 90 minutes and in that time he went and saw heaven. When he came back to life he had the memories of the visit. People were concerned about him but he was not forth coming as to taking their assistance. Now, in a larger sense apply this attitude to persons you may know. It gets rather ugly. There seems to be a fear that if people get to close one can become attached, and in the lonely hours of the night we reach put and there is nothing there. Okay I get it. I even wrote an essay about the dark nights of the soul.



But people, can we not reach out to others without fear? Has the need for human contact become so passe, discouraging, and tenuous that when inquires are made a brush off is what we can expect??? It seems this way unfortunately is a reality that exist all to often. I hate to say this but it seems that people are so afraid to be open that they shut everyone out.

Let me confess: I have been that way myself saying this does not make me a hypocrite it does mean however, that I understand the process. I do not like it. I understand the reasons, it gets lonely, bad, crazy and difficult when travelling by oneself. Having it all to do. Waking up at all times of the night, or resting but not sleeping (been there done that) and the fact is there is no one to hold, reach out to, cry with or find a degree of comfort. In effect we are alone and we can not stand it, although we put on a happy face, roll with the blows and cope. As a friend of mine ( a very very good friend) would say BS. the mind can only handle putting on a happy face, or singing "smile though your heart is breaking, smile though your heart is aching" for so long. We as persons do and must find the release valve or the coming explosion and catastrophe of our lives will come out. A rescue must happen least we become discouraged. There are some that will argue I can manage thank you, true we can and do, but no person is an island of themselves and it is part of who we are to find others.

I struggle with my demons and they win: this is a fact. But the great thing is faith is the subject of things hoped for even if we are blind to the evidence, or just not focused. In the times when I am the most anxious, tired full of rage, when my coping skill evaporates, or when I fall into a bigoted rant: God always sends a relief station to mute those voices. My prayer is others find the same avenue, and for those who mean a lot to me I am sorry, the past few days have been interesting. Later

No comments:

Post a Comment